Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day One in Athens

Our day began in the home of the Claasens deep in the neighborhoods of Kifissia, Athens. After eating a light breakfast of Starbucks muffins we set out to explore the National Archeological Museum of Athens. Yes, I understand that it was ancient history but by about the fourth hour, I was tired of looking at heads without bodies, and bodies without heads. There was the occasional famous statue or relief, but that was pretty much all it was. Then we wandered accross the street to find a small family owned cafe where we enjoyed a cappucino and some greek pastries. After, we indulged in some mouthwatering gelato despite the extreme weather.


"We're off to another meseum!" Elisabeth mockingly uttered. I said that I couldn't take another, at least until tomorrow. So the museum was vetoed and we strolled to the Plaka, a traditional bazaar, and shopped there for a little while. Then we saw the Tower of the Winds, a water clock built in the the 1st century BC, the Roman Agora, and the Greek Agora.
The Tower of the Winds is in the background, that is the Roman Agora.
A snapshot of the Temple of Hephaistos
After this incredible experience we rushed to the railway station to buy our tickets. We probably spent about an hour and one half there due to the long line, the attendant who was as slow as jello, mollasses, turtles, snails, PE class, international flights....I could go on forever, I've got a million of these! Oh, and then we were cut in line. We then felt our day was over because we were ready for dinner even though it was only 4:00. We traveled back to Kifissia and ate at at tiny greek resaurant with food good enough to eat!!!!!! So good in fact, that we ate Elisabeths salad by mistake, thinking that it was conmplimentary with our meals.
We then treated ourselves to a Starbucks, and made a trip to the local supermarket, where I was almost killed by an automatic door, but thats another story. So ended our first day in Athens, Greece.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When were you almost killed by an automatic door?

Hannah Lee said...

ELISABETH!!
Once again I looked at the picture and I couldn't figure out who was the girl with Carrot Colored hair lol!!
Then I figured it out!! =P
Love you Em!!
♥ Hannah

Unknown said...

That sounds really really cool! Starbucks!!! I don't know why I think thats hilarious.. just your in Athens and you have Starbucks lol. well I would make a longer comment but I have to get off now. sorry. the musems sounded really cool. What did you eat? (save the starbucks muffins) lol I miss you!!!
love ya
KaT

Unknown said...

Okay now that I have more time to type I have to say that the pictures you have posted were... Undescribably BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! luuuved them!!!! I really do hope your having a good time! love ya!
KaT